Sunday, March 8, 2015

First 2015 sewing project- Done !

It all started with a little lunchtime walk
The problem with having an office based in the centre of town is that wherever you walk, you walk past shops.

There just happens to be a fabric shop just a stones throw from my office
Having given the old sewing machine a quick once over
thought it time to crack on with my lap quilt


All the strips are ready to go
I just needed some cotton to stitch them all up
off I went

Oh dear
I bought the cotton but some fabric fell into my basket
whats a girl to do.

Anyone who knows fabric land knows there fabric is dirt cheap
£3.99 metre average price.


I bought it, absolutely no idea what to make with it though.

Off home to route through the pattern box
nope, nothing suited to little birds
The quilt didn't get a look in.

I could make a cushion cover, I could make a bag
but what I really wanted to do was make something to wear.

Nothing for it but to hit eBay and find a cheap easy pattern



Yes, a fuller figure pattern
but I love the square neck long sleeved top.
Cant be that hard can it?

Wrong !

Blooming heck I spent a good few hours on this this weekend
good job I was housebound due to poor hound

[who I have to say has made a remarkable recovery
lets hope he doesn't have another fit.]

I had ample time on my hands

First up was cutting the blooming pattern, haven't used a pattern since school
mastered that and got it all cut out.

Then the hard part started
interfacing? whats that? don't have any ?
off to hobby craft
got some
crack on

and so it went on, with the help of you tube I managed to get it all done bar the sleeves, who's great idea was it for a first project to have long sleeves !
That really flummoxed me
couldn't make head nor tail of the pattern
so did a botch job after watching a few videos.

I finally finished it tonight
want to take a peak?
Just remember its my first attempt
Although its not a top to wear in public I'm quite proud I managed it

On the hanger


I even managed bust darts!

on me


not a flattering angle and most definitely not a flattering shape
I actually think I should have made the smaller size !
And the cotton a tad to thick for this style

The shoulders are too big ,and the sleeves, well lets just say I need to practice sewing them in..
But overall I am quite pleased
I made a top
It fits
I most certainly wouldn't wear it out
but its wearable
I shall call it my gardening top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello May.

I am hoping it will be a quieter month for me. I do love my holidays but I also like some quiet time.We have nothing planned for May other t...