Saturday, March 7, 2015

What?

As usual wide awake before anyone else. No problem go grab a tea and read through blog-land.

Let the hound out, made a cuppa, hound came in.

Go sit in the office, hound comes in, sides on to me for a smooth, usual practice, then all of a sudden he turns his head, starts to make snarl type faces, thought he was going to bite me, jumped up, then poor old hound fell to the floor and had a full blown epileptic seizure

Panic does not describe what I went through, now being a nurse you would think I would be calm, wrong, major panic, screaming for hubs to come down, the whole  house woke up thinking we were being burgled!

I seriously thought he was going to die.I have never been so scared, he might be a pain in the a** but we do love him.

Panic call to the vet, luckily he came out of it, but it took him a good hour to recover.
Appointment made, vet visited. lovely young lady who has a rescue lurcher herself.

Recovering in the sun. bless.


She seems to think its idiopathic epilepsy, we could MRI/cat scan him but that would mean anesthetic and a stay in the vets, very stressful for an already anxious dog.

Decision was we would try him on some meds, we have rectal diazepam  to use if he has another seizure, and some daily tablets to try rather than go straight in on anti-consultants. Hes also on diazepam tablets  today and tomorrow.It may just be a 1,off but there is the possibility that some of his 'mad' behaviours may be linked to Epilepsy. Especially as hes so anxious hes constantly in a state of anxiety!


Come this evening he seems to be back to normal, usual playful self despite being full of diazepam!

This hounds monthly upkeep bill is almost matching ours for the whole family!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello May.

I am hoping it will be a quieter month for me. I do love my holidays but I also like some quiet time.We have nothing planned for May other t...