Sunday, June 28, 2015

The ultimate shift dress.

Onwards with my handmade wardrobe, yesterday it was the time to try a dress, well tunic really, I'm not really a dress kind of gal.

I love tunics but am conscious of a big tattoo on my upper arm, a fab memory from my past but as I have got older it has put me off going sleeveless, but you know what, I think I have come to the ' who cares' stage of my life, so sleeveless it was.

I pushed the boat out and bought an expensive sewing pattern, it may have cost more than the usual but it was well worth it, its a sew over it pattern and for a novice sewer like me, was brilliant. I chose the ultimate shift dress, a simple shape which can be made in 3 different styles, 

I love how the pattern is presented, it was a thrill to open it, 



It comes with a little book to guide you through the process, invaluable for a newbie like me


great diagrams and easy to follow directions, I think I may well have to buy more of their patterns.

So fabric pulled out, this time I even pre washed before cutting, pattern fully read, fabric cut, I was off


This really is a simple to follow pattern, I think it took me an hour to sew it, the only problem I had were the damn dust darts! luckily my boobs don't match either, so even though the darts are completely different, not quite sure what I did wrong, it fits the bust ok, just don't look at the darts, one up one down !

 I had to alter the armholes, this seems to be a trend with me, think it may be due to my girth, but I just cant stand gaping arm holes,

Fit wise, its a slimish fit,luckily the fabric has stretch, but being white based not particularly flattering, I like it though and as my girth is shrinking its ok, I am just used to wearing loose baggy clothing !
I love it, this pattern is definitely for me. 


Falls between hip and knee, just right to wear with 3/4 black leggings and sandals, with a little shrug if its chilly, but also sits nicely over my jeans, great for layering, very versatile little number.


Pretty pleased with my finishing this time



The only modification I made to the pattern was to cut the back in 1 piece, I just cut a little opening at the top back for ease, rather than cut 2 back pieces and stitch together. 

I bought 2 metres of fabric at £3.99 a metre, with loads left for adding to another project, so I recon this little number, pattern excluded, cost me about £6 . 

So today I am going to have a go at making another, I have the fabric, not pre washed though, am  hoping there's not going to be too much shrinkage, may cut it larger , and work on getting the damn bust darts right,


this is a sort of chambray/ light denim with stretch, I really must start recording what fabric I am buying, another £3.99 pr metre, not brave enough to buy expensive fabrics yet, today's goal is to conquer bust darts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello May.

I am hoping it will be a quieter month for me. I do love my holidays but I also like some quiet time.We have nothing planned for May other t...