Sunday, November 2, 2014

Weekend Learning.

Up and out early on Saturday morning, the sun was shining so did 2 loads of laundry and put out to dry, then weekly shopping trip to be done. This week I decided to hit Asda. After weeks of Aldi I felt a change of scenery was in order.

It started off well, I had a shopping list, all the essentials for the week , I felt in control. Didn't take me long to get side tracked though, Asda sell clothes, and books and lots of other goodies to tempt me, I did waste a while window shopping, occasionally I had difficulty letting go of things. But no.. I resisted all temptation .. no new goodies for me went into that trolley.

Felling good I stepped forth to the shopping isles, scary stuff. I forgot how big it was and how many people shopped there. Gone was my normal shopping routine, I panicked..I couldn't find things, I had to get a grip. Back to the list, bugger I didn't plan my weeks menu, had all the essentials bar what we were going to eat, drat. That was a big issue when I hit the meat isle, normally we don't eat meat every day, but there was stacks of the stuff reduced, got a bit carried away, think we now have 2 weeks worth of meat & fish in the freezer. A bargains not a bargain unless you need it, the bill proved that £141.. what.. I normally average around £80.  When I had got over that momentary panic I headed home to unpack and unpick the bill. When unpacked it didn't seem like much.

Lesson learned from that trip, take your menu or add to your shopping list, don't go to Asda..

Needed to calm down after that so did some meditative ironing, great feeling when laundry is washed dried ironed and put away..Hubs used some of the meat and made a lamb stew for tea, yum, then an easy night knitting my cardigan.

Weather forecast wasn't good today, so a leisurely morning was had, I cracked on with my writing course while hubs pottered, then when sky cleared we decided to make a run for it. Grabbed the dog, picked up no 2 son en route and headed off to the big woods.

Seemed to me everyone else had the same idea and we were constantly attacked by mountain bikes, it didn't help that the torrential rain had turned many of the paths into mud baths. but we had a great time.







Even Robin hood and his merryman made an appearance.







 


We made the circular walk just as the sky turned black and the heavens opened.

We headed home and I hit the computer again, trying to do this weeks course materials ,whilst hubs cooked the Sunday lunch, guess what we had, yep, more meat, roast pork and crackling.. I think I'm getting fed up with meat already!

I managed to plow through this weeks course, I need to sort out a plan for this, it certainly takes more than 3 hours a week. On the plus side I am really enjoying it, I am learning and guess what.... I wrote my first 500 word short story... well the outline draft, totally amazed myself on that one.I really don't know where it came from, the instruction was to turn the radio on and take the first words heard and use it to form a story. I cheated a little as most electronic gadgets were on in the house, so popped into the front room and listened to the TV, rough guess I knew it would be factual as hubs was watching it.. My words were 'only as long as your little finger and weighs no more than a penny'

First up I automatically thought of a fairy, don't ask me why, but thought that too cheesy, so just started writing and BAM, there it was. full 520 word short story! I need to read it through tomorrow and start to type and edit, it wouldn't make a book , but for a little 500 word piece I thinks its ok.

After the excitement of that i needed to bring myself back down so out with the knitting needles and another small project finished, cant share as its for a swap!

Now I need to go to bed, am exhausted..

Weekend claimed !


.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes we have to have some time just a little..to calm us down when so many things seem to need prompt attention..i tried to relax by knitting but perhaps i a m new at it..my whole body ache and keep on undoing because i cant correct the wrong stitches...i am so happy that you could knit and relax at the same time...till then will try to knit something smaller like a dish cloth....tq for stopping by at my humble blog....warm wishes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. keep trying you will master knitting, then you will find it relaxing. x

      Delete
  2. I usually shop at Aldi but this week we weren't going near Aldi so we too shopped in Asda and it wasn't a happy experience. Yes, I picked up lots of bargains but I felt totally overwhelmed by so much choice and so much stuff that we would never buy! I felt it was badly laid out too, probably to encourage you to look at items which aren't on your list. Back to Aldi next week - I don't need several brands of each item. I just want to go in, zoom round, get what I need at a good price and get back out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hit aldi this week, so much better, cant believe i used to like to spend hours 'shopping' in Asda, no more, Aldi= in out sorted!

      Delete
  3. Wow - that is a lot to spend on shopping! I avoid most of the aisles when I go shopping, as most of them contain things that we either don't, or can't afford to, eat. I'm very good at going in wearing blinkers and only buying what I need. That could be because I have to carry it home, or because my monthly grocery budget is £100.
    Well done on writing your short story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, and guess what, teenage locusts ate it in days! the more they have the more they eat!

      Delete

Hello May.

I am hoping it will be a quieter month for me. I do love my holidays but I also like some quiet time.We have nothing planned for May other t...