Sunday, September 3, 2017

Weekending.

After a long busy summer and [luckily a short]  back to work week, [thank you Bank holidays], I really just wanted a weekend at home. Just to potter about and generally do not a lot of anything. Weatherwise it has a been a weekend of 2 sides, thanks to our Fab British weather,

Yesterday was sunny and hot, ideal day to set about transforming an old spinning wheel I found in a little treasure trove of a  shop. I spotted it in a picture the shop owner had posted featuring a  wardrobe, and there tucked in the corner was what looked decidedly like an Ashford traditional. Having rued the day I sold my lovely Ashford Joy, I have been trying to get hold of a  decent little wheel, I don't have a huge amount to spend on a wheel and am quite happy to buy used.I picked one up last year, its a cute little wheel but just don't get on with it, Its now more of a decorative piece.


So I popped on down and snapped the one below up for £50.


It really was filthy.
So yesterday it got a good washdown with a white vinegar wash and then a linseed polish. It no longer feels sticky !


It needs a new flier as there is a split near the hooks and most definitely needs a new drive band, but it actually spun


Pretty chuffed with that as haven't actually spun for quite some tine.
Its a world of wool custom mix I bought


Have 500g and hoping to spin a fingering weight yarn so will have enough for a bigger project.
I'm pretty happy the wheel will be ok, would prefer a double treadle, maybe might trade these 2 in next year and then put that towards a double treadle.  That's if I do manage to spin regularly enough !

Today has been grey, wet and chilly, the rain has not stopped all day.Its been a chilled day, pottering around doing house ' stuff', we have just eaten and hubs has now gone to fly out to France for work, so I shall mainly be spending this evening watching trash TV and knitting on this little beauty


My 'pavement 'sweater

I adore this pattern, it looks like its going to be a nice wear and its proving a lovely little TV knit. The yarn was bought purely because the colour way is ' Lundy'. It's  Fyberspates Vivacious 4 ply and is a dream to knit. [ Lundy being one of my Favourite places]. The picture doesn't do the colour justice,


its a lovely combination and really does make me think of Lundy. I shall wear it on my next trip over !

Its going to be a strange few days without my hubs so I think I may well end up finishing the body of this little beauty. Just as well really as my stash seems to be multiplying !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello May.

I am hoping it will be a quieter month for me. I do love my holidays but I also like some quiet time.We have nothing planned for May other t...