Sunday, January 13, 2019

The new wheel.

Yesterday was devoted to spinning wheels. One of the old wheels was collected at 10am, then I set about unpacking and attempting to build my new wheel. Having never had a brand new wheel before I had no idea other than the instruction book and a YouTube video.


parts laid out and waiting for some love


First up I waxed all the wood, as I had chosen to have the custom wheel (the wheel itself was painted for me ) the rest of the wood came untreated. You can see the difference in colour here, the wax really brings out the grain of the wood as well. There was something quite soothing about this process, very relaxing and meditative ! Then it was onto the build.


I have to say the build and instructions were really easy to follow, I made a couple of silly errors getting washers back to front but pretty much managed it all. Sadly I was a bit heavy handed with one of the screws on the footman ( above) and split the blooming wood. I knew I had done it as I heard the wood break . The wheel still works and lovely Louise from Spin City is going to order a spare in for me so it can be replaced. However the wheel is beautiful and I love her, yes its female and she will have a name, not sure what yet!


All finished!
Despite the small break I did manage to get a quick spin in on her to make sure I had set it all up right, and pleased to say she is a joy to spin on. Cant wait to get stuck in later today, I have a whole box of lovely fibre just calling to me.


I am going to have many years of joy out of this little wheel and have learnt my lesson from the last major craft room downsize destash, never ever get rid of your wheel !

Now all I have to do is pack up the old Ashford, that was a bit of a bugger to dismantle to be honest. The screws had all been in place for 30 plus years so you can imagine they didn't want to come out. But it's now all in parts waiting to be wrapped packed and shipped out. 2 out and 1 in, sort of a destash there !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello May.

I am hoping it will be a quieter month for me. I do love my holidays but I also like some quiet time.We have nothing planned for May other t...