Saturday, August 1, 2015

Overnighting in Barry Bongo!

Last Saturday we set out for an overnight in Barry Bongo, [yes hes had a name change],
We had chosen somewhere local, not to far to drive and somewhere to have a walk and grab some food.
Excited was an understatement.

All packed and ready to go we headed off to Cheddar, didn't take us long to get there and once we had I loved the site, basic but great.


Petruth Paddocks is a clean ,friendly and spacious site, no frills but has what you need, would definitely go back there again,




As for Barry, what can I say, I love him..


Pitch picked, Barry about to go into action

 



Roof up, awning attached.
Lessons learned: 

1] The awning didn't come with the kit to attach it to the van
2] the awning didnt come with the poles to put the canopy up
3] these need to be bought in addition to the awning
4] hubs is great at making do and finding a solution
5] we need to park the other way round as the door was facing the hedge

this is what its meant to look like

[pic from towsure.com]

But its a fab little awning, enough space to fit the cooking station and table and chairs, its also water tight and wind proof!

So camp set up by mid afternoon we set out for a walk and to grab a meal, Cheddar village is a 10 minute walk down the old Strawberry line 

It was a  glorious afternoon, we chose a little pub with a vine covered pergola


and picked a meze


and of course sampled the local scrumpy cider

it truly felt like being on a 'real' holiday

We wandered the village and the gorge







before heading back to spend a relaxed evening sat watching the world go by,
hubs and junior even took an evening stroll around the site


We settled down for the night , all snugged up in Barry Bongo, and I have to say I had a reasonable nights sleep until I woke at 2.45 am with awful stomach cramps, that was it then, tummy bug set in, not sure if it was food, scrumpy, only had a pint of that, or whether I had picked up something from one of the nursing homes I visit, quick walk across a dark field to the toilet block and back to bed, up again at 4.45am another visit made and then the heavens opened, torrential rain!

we sat it out till 10.am, after cooking breakfast, had to try the cooker out!, hastily packed up and headed home.Despite all the equipment needed it packs up really quick and was well worth it for a night away.

Once home it was a hot bath and bed for me, a shame to finish the weekend on a rough note but I thoroughly enjoyed it and cant wait till next weekend when we take Barry down to Bedruthan Steps for a longer camping weekend.

The rest of the week has seen a lingering stomach bug and a manic busy work week, I am well and truly knackered, I am so looking forward to my long break at the end of August, and yes another camping expedition with Barry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello May.

I am hoping it will be a quieter month for me. I do love my holidays but I also like some quiet time.We have nothing planned for May other t...