Sunday, January 11, 2015

Holiday booked.

Hubs and I co-ordinated  and booked our annual leave this week, our next full week off together is in May. Annual leave is still dictated by school terms unfortunately, and the May break is when we normally head off for our first 'holiday'

In the past this has been the week when we go 'abroad', but with ever growing teenage boys trying to find something everyone likes within our budget is increasingly difficult, especially when the boys have completely different likes and interests. added to the extortionate fees charged by the holiday company's its actually near impossible. 

We have a small but reasonable budget, it certainly doesn't stretch to a week on a beach based package deal  not that the boys would like that anyway.Last year we gave up the idea of a foreign holiday and stayed in the UK, London and Cornwall were last years destinations. We have done France to death, and don't fancy ferrying to Santander.Where else to go? Having been to London twice we didn't want to go again, we spent new year in Cornwall and will no doubt  visit again at Easter. 

No 1 sons only choice was America, I don't think so ! No 2 son likes a bit of culture, he named a few places, generally city breaks, but hubs isn't really a city break man.. Me?  Id just like to have a holiday where everyone is semi happy, and if there's a glimpse of the sea, well, you have me hooked.

So yesterday I spent a good few hours looking at what was in our price bracket, the Internet is a wonderful thing. No 1 son was adamant he wasn't coming whilst no 2 son quite enjoyed looking at holiday destinations. To be honest I was getting a bit discouraged by it all, there was no way I could find anything in our price range that would suit everyone.

Would you believe it hubs came home,he listened to my suggestions then just said what about Scotland? Scotland? what? really?

Yep, Scotland. He had visited before, liked it and thought it would fit the bill. He even knew which hotel, OK..

A quick search on the net, Edinburgh, leith to be exact. Nothing fancy, a premier inn, suits us and the boys can eat as much as they like for free for breakfast..I know the way to a teenage boys heart !

Bus stop right outside to get to the city centre, the castle, the zoo, the museum, lots of things to see and do, and of course the sea! The premier inn actually backs straight onto the waterfront. 


5 nights booked, which gives us 4 full days to explore the area, and an overnight en route there and back if we decide to drive up.

No 1 son was not amused, in fact he was pretty non plus, not his idea of a holiday destination in any way shape or form, though I am sure when he gets there he will have a great time. This is probably the last year he will come with us, unless we win the lottery and can take them to America! 

So the holiday page is set up in my Filofax, budget crunching is underway, lists of places to go, entrance fees, and costings for food. Between now and then I will search for the best deals, watch groupon like a hawk, and plan the best Scottish holiday I can with the budget. I quite like a challenge !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello May.

I am hoping it will be a quieter month for me. I do love my holidays but I also like some quiet time.We have nothing planned for May other t...